Kona Sewage Spill Stopped; Ban On Water Activities Remains
The sewage spill in Kailua Bay has been stopped, but water activities in the area are barred until health authorities are sure that the waters are safe for swimming and fishing, according to the Department of Environmental Management (DEM) on Wednesday.
The discharge of untreated wastewater took place on Monday at the shoreline near Ali‘i Drive in Kailua-Kona, and since then crews have been working to remove and replace sections of corroded sewer pipe. The replaced sections of pipe have stopped further releases of sewage into the Bay, the Department said.
Meanwhile, DEM has submitted water sampling tests to the State Department of Health, which has indicated that further sampling is unnecessary.
However, DEM is continuing tests out of an abundance of caution. The Department of Health is mandating that warning signs remain in place barring water activities until the Department determines that the waters are safe for swimming and fishing.
“The public will be kept informed on when it is safe to go back into the water,” said DEM Director William Kucharski. “We really appreciate everyone’s patience as things go back to normal.”
For further information, please call William Kucharski at 961-8177.